This is an easy, healthy dish to prepare during the middle of week or when the budget is tight, but its also a fun dish to make when serving a lot of people. Feel free to dress up your dish with vegetables or your choice or even these vegan lentil meatballs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 T. dairy-free soy margarine
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers,(about 1 1/2 cups) seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalepeno (about 2 jalepenos)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce, no-salt added variety
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. salt, plus more to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cover the cut sides of the spaghetti squash with aluminum foil and bake until the flesh can easily be pierced with a fork, about 35 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the spicy sauce. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the soy margarine, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and jalepenos, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and salt. Add more salt and pepper to taste.[p/]
3. Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and, using a fork, remove the strands of squash and transfer to a large bowl or serving dish. Toss with the sauce and serve hot with Lentil Meatballs if desired.