This recipe is an easy go-to staple that even kids enjoy. It's healthier, spicier comfort food! To lighten up this recipe a little bit for those watching their fat intake, use "lite coconut milk" in place of the full-fat varieties.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dairy-free plain almond milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. cardamom
- 1/2 t. coriander
- 1/4 t. ground turmeric
- 1/8 t. dry mustard
- 1/2 t. sea salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 15-ounce block extra-firm tofu, drained and chopped into 1/2" cubes
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, water, almond milk, spices, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then turn down the heat to low and let the rice simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork or wooden spoon. Add 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut and stir to evenly distribute. Place the cubes of tofu on top of the rice (don't stir them in), cover, and allow the rice to continue to simmer for 20 minutes longer, or until the rice is tender and the tofu is cooked through. To serve, fold in the tofu and add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Garnish with the remaining shredded coconut and serve hot.