Perfect for New Year's Day, this black-eyed peas dish can be eaten like a stew or served over couscous, rice or dairy-free Baked Polenta.
Serves 8 to 12
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups dry black-eyed peas
- 5 cups water, plus more, if needed
- 2 15-ounce cans whole tomatoes
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 2 T. dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent and fragrent. Add the vegetable stock, black-eyed peas, water, tomatoes, tomato paste and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, adding more water as neccessary, or until the peas are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.