This recipe is incredibly easy and fast; the marinade takes mere moments to prepare and can be made up to a day ahead of time. The longer you marinate your tofu, the better, so I like to prepare my marinade, let it cool, then pop the tofu in the marinade and let it soak up the flavors for a few hours before grilling.
If you've never grilled tofu and want to read up on a few tips, check out Vegetarian Guide Jolinda Hackett's article on How To Grill Tofu.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Recipe Lemon Sesame Tofu Marinade
- 1 16-ounce package firm Chinese tofu, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. Prepare the tofu. Place the drained tofu on top of several layers of paper towels. Place something moderately heavy and flat, such as a casserole dish or a weighted baking sheet, on top of the tofu for 20 minutes, changing out the paper towels for fresh paper towels half-way through. slice the tofu into rectangles or triangles about 1/4"-1/2" thick. Place the tofu in the cooled marinade turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before grilling. (This can be done several hours in advance.)
3. Lightly oil and preheat the grill. Place the tofu on the grill and lightly salt and pepper the pieces if desired. Grill until deep brown or lightly blackened (I like my tofu black!), turning once to brown both sides evenly. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with rice or on top of dairy-free bread as sandwiches.