There are a lot of things you can do with quinoa, but this baked quinoa recipe is one of the easiest and tastiest! Feel free to add in other fresh vegetables and herbs you have on hand, or toss in a handful of your favorite dairy-free cheese alternative or tofu for texture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup plain soy milk, almond milk or rice milk
- 1/4 t. Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate or casserole dish and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the water, quinoa and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Place the broccoli florets on top of the quinoa, cover, and let the saucepan rest on the warm burner for about 5 minutes, or until the florets are bright green and crisp.
3. Meanwhile, beat the egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the soy milk and pepper, whisking until combined. Place the quinoa-broccoli mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over top, mixing gently if neccessary. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Allow the baked quinoa to cool for 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack before cutting into slices and serving. Serve hot.