Sugar cookies are always a sweet idea, especially when they're vegan! Perfect for dairy-free holidays and birthdays, these treats are easy to make and easy to share. They're also wonderful desserts to make with children; the night before a large family get together, holiday or other party where children will be present, I make a few batches of dough, wrap it in plastic wrap, and then roll out and cut my cookies the next day, and let the kids cut and decorate their cookies.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 34 minutes
Yield: About 3 dozen cookies
- 3 T. Ener-G egg replacer powder
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 cup dairy-free soy margarine
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy-free cream cheese, such as toffuti
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- For Decorating:
- Dairy-Free Vanilla Icing
1. Combine the Ener-G egg placer powder with the warm water, whisking until gooey. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the dairy-free soy margarine and sugar using an electric hand mixer for 3-4 minutes, or until creamy and fluffy. Add the egg replacer mixture, dairy free cream cheese and vanilla, beating until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating to form a stiff dough. Form the dough into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4" thickness. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out your cookie shapes, and place each on the prepared baking sheet about 1" apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before decorating with Dairy-Free Vanilla Icing or other vegan decorations of your choice.