This strawberry meringue frosting is delicious as it is beautiful, with rich honey undertones and a pefectly pink hue. Great for spring when strawberries are in season, Easter, birthdays, baby showers or Valentines Day, this dairy-free recipe is fitting all year long. Use this to frost dairy-free cakes or dairy-free cupakes.
Feel free to substitute the frozen strawberries for about 2 1/2 lbs. fresh strawberries.
Makes 4 1/2 cups
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 16-oz bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- 2 ¼ cups white sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cups honey
- ½ cup soy margarine or vegetable shortening, cut into 3 pieces
- ½ t. vanilla extract
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the frozen strawberries and sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture resembles a syrup and is reduced to 1 ¼ cup. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer at a medium speed setting, beat the egg whites until forming stiff peaks, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the honey and beat until egg whites are glossy, about 2 minutes more.
3. Add the warm syrup mixture to the egg white mixture in 3 additions, pouring the syrup down the side of the bowl and mixing well between each addition. Mixing at a high speed setting, add the soy margarine or vegetable shortening, one piece at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract, and beat for 1-2 minutes more until mixture is smooth.
4. Chill frosting for about 30 minutes before using to frost dairy-free cakes, cupcakes or other dairy-free desserts.