I like this recipe even more than egg salads prepared with traditional mayonnaise and eggs; it's not only healthier, but the texture of the tofu is delightful, and even kids like it! Enjoy this salad on a sandwich, in a wrap, or on its own, and feel free to add herbs, spices and other veggies you have on hand to add extra flare.
Makes about 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 12.3-ounce box extra firm silken tofu, drained
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice or 1 T. cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 T. agave nectar or honey
- 1 t. salt, plus more to taste
- 2 15-ounce blocks firm tofu (not silken), crumbled
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 2 T. stone ground prepared mustard (or 1 1/2 T. Djion)
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. tumeric (optional)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions or scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, such as dill
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
1. Make the tofu "mayonnaise". Process the silken tofu, olive oil, lemon juice, agave nectar and salt in a blender until creamy. Place in the refrigerator to chill for one hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine the crumbled tofu, nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic powder, and tumeric until well combined. Lightly salt and pepper. Toss with the cucumber, celery, onions, and herbs until well mixed. Mix the tofu with with the chilled tofu "mayonnaise", until well mixed. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.