Creamed Peas are an easy comfort food classic that are delicious on their own or served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, cornbread or pasta. For added flavor and texture, try adding bacon, prosciutto or ham, or, alternatively, vegetarian meats.
Serves 4 to 6 as a side
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup and 1 T. olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen sweet peas
- 3 T. flour
- 2 ½ cups plain, unsweetened soymilk (use a brand that uses a thickening agent, like Silk)
- ½ t.- 1 t. salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, heat the 1 T. olive oil. Add the onions and cook, until just slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a steam basket over boiling water, steam the peas until just soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the peas from the heat and cover until ready to use.
3. Once the onions are softened, turn down the heat to medium-low and add the 1/4 cup oil to the pan. Add the flour, stirring constantly, and cook until the flour smells slightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the soymilk, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Add the salt and pepper and remove from heat.
4. Gently, stir in the cooked peas, taking care not to smash them. Pour the creamed peas into a casserole or serving dish and serve hot.