Bulgur wheat is healthy, satisfying and cheap, and it can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This easy recipe is perfect for a healthy lunch, dinner or side.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 T. agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 t. salt, plus more to taste
- 5 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- For the Salad:
- 1 cup medium bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Prepare the bulgur. Place the bulgur in a heat proof dish or small sauce pan. Pour the boiling water over the bulgur and let it stand for 10 minutes, until tender but firm. (Add water or drain as necessary.)
3. Add the celery, carrot, raisins, sunflower seeds and parsley, tossing to distribute evenly. Pour the dressing over the bulgur, stirring until evenly mixed. Salt to taste and serve.