Serves 8 to 10
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 lbs beets, peeled and halved
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups shredded kale
- 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Goddess Dressing (see Head Note)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place the beats in a steam basket set over a pot of boiling water. Steam for about 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Slice beets into pieces about 1/2" thick and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. In a skillet or sauce pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic to the pan, and cook, stirring often, until the onions are fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the kale to the pan and cook until the leaves are bright green and tender, about 3-4 minutes longer. Remove the pan from heat. Add the vegetables to the beats, tossing gently until well mixed. Add the dairy-free goddess dressing, and allow the salad to cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours longer. Serve cold with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.