Sweet, creamy and bright, this dairy-free, egg-free casserole is perfect for the fall and winter months when comforting casseroles and bakes are the order of the day, and it is always a welcome addition to any Thanksgiving Day table.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- For the Filling:
- 5 cups cubed* sweet potatoes (1"cubes)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 T. dark brown sugar
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. ginger
- 3 T. finely ground pecans
- 2 T. dairy-free soy magarine, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened dairy-free soy yogurt
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- For the Pecan Topping:
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 T. soy margarine, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly oil 9"x13" casserole dish and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan with water just to cover, bring the chopped sweet potatoes to a boil until tender. In a colander or sieve, drain the sweet potatoes and place in the bowl of a food processor. Process until creamy. Add the maple syrup, dark brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground pecans and dairy-free soy margarine, and pulse until well combined. Add the coconut milk, soy yogurt and vanilla extract, processing until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish.
3. Make the topping. In a medium-large bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and pecans until well mixed. Cut in the dairy-free soy margarine until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbles, and, using your hands, sprinkle over the sweet potato filling.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is slightly bubbly.