When I think of comfort food, creamy home-style mashed potatoes instantly come to mind. This recipe is easy and inexpensive to prepare and is great for kids, holidays and weeknight dinners alike. Serve with Dairy-Free Creamed Peas or with my Herb-Scented Mushroom Gravy or Cream & Pepper Gravyfor a comforting, non-dairy meal.
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 lbs red or white potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
- 2 cups plain unsweetened soymilk
- ½ cup soymilk powder
- 2 T. apple-cider or white wine vinegar
- 2 t. salt, plus more to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized stockpot over high heat.
2. Chop the potatoes into 1” chunks and add to boiling water. Boil until tender, about 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the soymilk, soymilk powder and vinegar in a blender until smooth. (Alternatively, you can whisk the soymilk powder and vinegar into the soymilk by hand; this will just take a little longer.) Pour the mixture into a small saucepan, add the salt, and, stirring frequently, cook over low heat until smooth.
4. Using a colander, drain the potatoes once tender and transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes until creamy, adding the soymilk mixture in increments until all has been added and potatoes are desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.