This chocolate tart is one of the most impressive desserts, yet it is not difficult to make and it doesn't require a lot of ingredients. While I prefer to prepare my tart in a tart pan, for bigger parties I've doubled the recipe and used a large casserole dish.
Makes one 9" tart
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- For the Cashew Cookie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely ground raw cashews
- 1/4 t. salt
- 6 T. dairy-free soy margarine
- 1 T. lemon juice
- For the Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 16 ounces dark dairy-free chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9" tart pan and set aside.
2. In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, ground cashews, and salt. Add the soy margarine and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the lemon juice and pulse until combined. The mixture should be clumpy. Using your fingers, press the crust mixture into the prepared tart pan, covering the bottom and as much of the sides as possible. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
3. Make the ganache filling. Place the dairy-free dark chocolate in a heat safe bowl. Set aside. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the coconut milk until it just starts to boil. Pour the hot coconut milk over the chopped chocolate, and let sit for 5 minutes without stirring. After 5 minutes, add the vanilla extract and stir the mixture using a wooden spoon until smooth and glossy. (This will take about 1-2 minutes of continuous stirring.) Pour the ganache over the prepared crust and allow the filling to cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or until set. Serve cold.