This easy pumpkin pie recipe is perfect for persons with allergies to dairy ingredients but who are not adverse to consuming eggs. This Basic Dairy-Free Pie Dough Recipe is an excellent crust for dairy-free pumpkin pies, but if you prefer using one with olive oil instead of soy margarine, try this Olive Oil Pie Crust.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 1 9" pie
- 1 Recipe Basic Dairy-Free Pie Dough
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 15-ounce can canned pumpkin
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup dairy-free vanilla soy milk (or almond milk)
1. Prepare the Basic Dairy-Free Pie Dough according to the recipe's instructions. Roll out the dough and fit half of the dough into a 9" pie plate. Place the pie plate in the refrigerator while preparing the filling. Tightly wrap the remaining half in plastic wrap and freeze for another pie.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
3. Prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow in color and well-combined. Add the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and maple syrup, and mix until well-combined. Add the dairy-free sour cream and vanilla soy milk, mixing until smooth.
4. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then turn down the oven to 350F and baked for 35-45 minutes more, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling has a thin skin on the top. (NOTE: The center of the filling may jiggle a little, but it should be slightly risen and not dark in the center.) Transfer the pie to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours before serving.