This recipe is so easy to make, and it's an easy way to get your children to eat broccoli! Feel free to add other vegetables of your choice, such as cauliflower, brussels sprouts, spinach or others.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. shell pasta
- 10 ounces frozen or fresh broccoli
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 T. tahini paste
- 2 T. flour
- 2 cups dairy-free plain soymilk, preferably a refrigerated variety
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 t. salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer's instructions until al dente. Drain in a colander and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a steam basket set over several inches of boiling water, steam the broccoli until tender and bright green, about five minutes. Toss with the pasta and set aside.
3. Make the sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, adding the onion and garlic once hot. Stirring often, cook until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tahini paste and flour, mixing well to evenly distribute the flour. Stirring constantly, cook for about one minute, or until the mixture thickens but does not burn. Gradually add the soymilk, stirring constantly to avoid forming lumps. Add the nutritional yeast and salt, and stir well until the sauce is smooth. Cook until the sauce is thickened to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the pasta and broccoli to the pot, stirring well to distribute the sauce. Cook until desired temperature and serve.