Pesto is a savory Italian sauce or condiment traditionally prepared with fresh basil, pine nuts and Parmesan Cheese. This dairy-free dish is rich and delicious, but it is also incredibly simple to prepare for a quick, elegant meal. The pesto will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Serves 4-6 as an entree
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1large bunch basil leaves (about 2 cups)
- ½ cups almond meal
- ¼ cup finely ground cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. miso paste
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 8-10 oz. linguini, spaghetti or other pasta of choice
1. Bring a medium-to-large stock pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, make the pesto. In a blender, combine the basil, almond meal, ground cashews and garlic, and blend until creamy but not completely pureed. Add the miso paste, vinegar and nutritional yeast and blend until just combined. In 2-3 additions, add the olive oil until mixture is just creamy (you may not need to use all of the oil). Add salt to taste and set aside.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook until al dente, about 7-10 minutes, or according to the manufacturer's instructions. Drain the pasta in a colander and toss with about half of the pesto. Portion the pasta onto individual plates and serve with the extra pesto in a dish at the table.