This dish is an easy weeknight meal, prepared with just a few ingredients and in under 20 minutes. While this recipe calls for poached eggs, feel free to fry your eggs for a richer dish! You can also substitute the eggs for another protein or to add fresh herbs or other vegetables of your choice.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 large servings
- 1/2 lb. angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup dairy-free soy margarine
- 1/4 cup minced garlic cloves
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, according to the manufacturer's directions. Strain and set aside.
2. While the pasta is boiling, prepare the dairy-free garlic butter. In a small saucepan, heat the soy margarine and minced garlic over medium-high heat, cooking for about 2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant but not burned. Return the strained pasta to the pot you used for boiling and toss the pasta with the sauce. Set aside.
3. Prepare the eggs. Fill a medium-sized straight-sided skillet with about 2 inches of water and place over medium heat. Crack each of the eggs into a small cup or ramekin, taking care not to break the yolks. When bubbles form on the sides of the pan and just a few have broken the surface, carefully add each of the eggs to the water by lowering the cup to the surface and sliding the egg in gently, leaving room between them so they are not touching one another. Cook the eggs, undisturbed, for about 3 minutes, or until the whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny.
4. Portion the garlic pasta onto two plates. Using a slotted spoon, transfer two of the eggs to each of the plate, taking care not to break the yolks. Add salt and black pepper to taste and a sprig of parsley or other garnish for a bright touch. Serve immediately.