This pizza is easy to make, delicious and perfect for gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan diets. The dough is a bit stickier than traditional pizza dough, so for best results, prepare the dough as directed in a standing mixer.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 12 minutes
Yield: About 1 16" pizza
- 1 T. ground flax seeds
- 2 T. hot water
- 4 t. active dry yeast
- 2 t. white granulated sugar
- ¾ cup warm water or more as needed, divided
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 ½ cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup sweet rice flour
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 2 t. xanthan gum
- 1 t. salt
1. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seeds and hot water until forming a gooey mixture. Set aside.
2. Place the dry yeast in another small bowl. Add the sugar and ½ cup of the warm water to the yeast and gently stir and agitate to dissolve the yeast. Allow the yeast to rest for 5 minutes or until foamy. (If your yeast mixture does not bubble or foam, your yeast could be “dead.” If this is the case, repeat this step using fresh yeast.) Add the olive oil to the yeast mixture and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl that fits into a standing kitchen mixer with a dough hook attachment, sift together the flours, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum and salt until well mixed. Add the flax seed mixture and yeast mixture, mixing on slow until combined. Add the remaining ¼ cup warm water as needed (you may need more or you may not even use it all—each yeast dough is different!) to form a soft dough. (The dough will be stickier than traditional wheat-based doughs, but it shouldn't stick to your hands.) Knead in the bowl using the dough hook attachment for about 5 minutes on medium speed. Cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour in a warm place. (While the dough is rising, take this time to prepare your toppings.)
4. Preheat the oven 500 F. Lightly oil a pizza pan or baking sheet and set aside.
5. Punch down the dough and shape it into a disc. Place the disc between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it into a circle about 16” in diameter or to your desired thickness (if you like super thin crusted pizzas, you might want to just use half of the dough and save the other half or make two pizzas). Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and use the other piece to help transfer the dough to the prepared sheet, flipping the dough over and peeling the parchment from the dough. Use your fingers to tuck, fold and pinch a crust around the edge of the dough.
6. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 6-8 minutes or until golden. Remove the pizza from the oven. Top your pizza crust with whatever toppings you desire and return to the oven to bake for about 6 minutes more, or until your toppings and the crust are golden brown. Serve hot.