This vegan take on the pancake classic is perfect for a weekend brunch but easy enough for a weekday breakfast. Feel free to add more blueberries to your flapjacks, or add additional berries or nuts as desired.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 T. dark brown sugar
- 2 T. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups plain almond milk or soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined. In another small bowl, whisk together the canola oil, vanilla extract and almond milk until well mixed, then add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
2. Heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add the batter to the skillet, about 1/3 cup at a time, pressing a small amount of berries into the top of each pancake immediately after adding to the skillet. Once the underside is golden brown and bubbles have appeared on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cakes are light and fluffy. Repeat until all of the batter is used. Serve warm with berries, soy margarine and syrup.