Scones are traditionally prepared with butter, cream, and sometimes eggs, but these are dairy-free, egg-free and vegan, so everyone can enjoy!
Makes 12 scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 T. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 cups dairy-free soy margarine, preferably a "stick" variety
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chilled full-fat coconut milk, plus more if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a medium sized bowl. Cut in the dairy-free soy margarine using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Mix in the poppy seeds until evenly distributed. Gradually add the lemon juice and coconut milk, mixing until the dough just barely holds together, adding more if needed. To make wedge scones: Press the dough into two discs, cut each of the discs into six wedges, placing the wedges on the sheet as you work. To make drop scones: simply shape the scones into 12 mounds and place on the prepared sheet.
3. Lightly sprinkle the scones with sugar, and bake for 16 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.