Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: about 18-24 muffins
- 1 cup warm (not hot) water
- 1 cup warm (not hot) unsweetened soy milk
- 3 T. white granulated sugar
- 1 .25-ounce package active dry yeast
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/4 cup melted dairy-free soy margarine
- Cornmeal, for dusting
1. In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk together the warm water, warm soy milk, sugar and yeast to dissolve the sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes or until foamy. Meanwhile, sift together the flour and salt in another bowl.
2. Mix the melted soy margarine into the yeast mixture, taking care that your margarine is lukewarm and not hot. Add the flour mixture in several additions, until forming a soft, though not sticky, dough. Knead just until elastic, then return to a lightly oiled bowl and cover for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle the parchment paper generously with cornmeal. Punch down the dough, but do not over-knead. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface, and using a lightly-floured round biscuit cutter, cut the dough into circles, placing the muffins on the prepared sheet as your work. Cover loosely with a clean dish towel and let rise for 30-40 minutes.
4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle to 300 F, or over low heat. Carefully place the muffins on the griddle, and cook for 10 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Transfer english muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool. Store in plastic bread bags for up to a week.