This Roast Beef & Cheddar sandwich is humble enough to be served as a weekday lunch, but can also be dressed up with lots of veggies for a fun diner-style dinner entree. For a vegan variation, substitute the mayonnaise with a soy mayonnaise and use a vegetarian meat substitute for the roast beef.Makes 4 large sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 slices thick whole-grain bread
- 12 oz. thinly sliced ham
- 2 T. olive oil, plus more for brushing
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup soymilk powder
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- 1 t. tumeric
- ½ t. prepared mustard
- ½ cup dairy-free mayonnaise, either homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soymilk , such as Silk
- 1 t. salt, plus more to taste
- Vegetables and toppings of choice, such as lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
2. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of the bread slices with oil. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 4 minutes.
3. Flip the slices with a metal spatula and place roast beef on four of the slices. Return the baking sheet to the oven for about 4 minutes more. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside, covering loosely to keep warm until reading to assemble the sandwiches.
4. Prepare the Cheddar cheese sauce. In a small bowl, combine the nutritional yeast, soymilk powder, cornstarch and tumeric. Set aside.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oil, mustard, mayonnaise and soymilk, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and 1 t. salt to the mixture, whisking until lumps are dissolved (a few lumps will still remain but will dissolve while cooking).
6. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, heat the cheese mixture, stirring constantly until desired consistency. Salt to taste.
7. Place the four slices of bread with roast beef on individual serving plates. Pour the cheese over the meat. Top with vegetables and toppings of choice, such as greens, tomatoes, red onions or pickles, followed by a piece of toasted bread. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally and serve warm.