Drying your own fruit can be fun, and dried fruit makes such a terrific healthy snack for kids and adults.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- 10 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted and halved
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 T. lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 165 F. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven, placing another rack below it. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack (this will catch any moisture that may drip during the first few hours of drying). Set out a wire cooling rack.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the water with the sugar, mixing constantly to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly reduced. Turn down the heat and add the honey and lemon juice, mixing well to dissolve. Remove from heat.
3. Dip each of the peach halves in the solution, then place each on the wire cooling rack. Place the wire cooling rack on the on the middle oven rack. Leave the oven door ajar 1-2 inches, to keep the air circulating, and let the fruit dry in the oven for 6-8 hours. As you near the 6 hour mark, start checking the fruit for doneness. (The peaches should feel pliable, but not moist, when done.)
4. Let the peaches cool and store in an airtight container in a dry place.