Macaroni and cheese is a meal that many of us have grown up with and often associate with childhood. Creamy and comforting, this dairy-free version of the classic kids' meal uses nutritional yeast, soymilk and tahini to achieve the richness and flavor of the traditional cheese sauce without the saturated fat and cholesterol of dairy.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 T. Flour
- 2 T. vegetable broth powder
- 1 cup dairy-free soymilk (use one that has a thickening agent added, like Silk)
- 2 T. Water
- 1 T. Tahini (also called sesame paste)
- Salt, to taste
1. Boil about 3 cups of water in a small stockpot. Add elbow macaroni and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
2. Combine nutritional yeast, flour and vegetable broth powder in a small saucepan, mixing together until combined. Add soymilk, water and tahini, and turn on heat to medium-low, mixing until all the powder is dissolved and the sauce is smooth. Heat until just thickened and warm, about 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and add salt to taste.
3. Add cooked macaroni to sauce pan, coating pasta well. Divide mixture into two bowls and serve warm.