This cream of mushroom soup recipe is simple to make, but it's so good, everyone always asks me for the recipe! When selecting your dairy-free milk, for best results look for a refrigerated soy variety that contains carrageenan, which will help stabilize the soy milk during heating and prevent separation.
This soup pairs well with a loaf of good, crusty bread.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2 large vidalia onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 t. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti
- 1 1/2 cup plain dairy-free soy milk, plus more if neccessary
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Once hot, add the garlic, onions and celery, stirring often until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, parsley, dried thyme and sherry and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened. Add the vegetable broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Carefully transfer the soup to a large bowl or stock pock. Working in batches, process the soup until smooth, portioning the dairy-free sour cream and soy milk into the processor as you go until all has been used and all of the soup is pureed and transferred back into the saucepan. Heat until desired consistency and temperature, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with crusty dairy-free bread or crackers.