This simple soup is hearty and satisfying while still healthy, dairy-free, and vegan. Freshly chopped parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice all lend deliciously fresh flavors to this dish, and adding fresh corn during the summer months adds a little extra seasonal flair. And although it takes a couple of hours from start to finish, it doesn't require that much active preparation. Just chop the veggies, put them in at the appropriate times, and you're good to go!
For more vegan soup ideas, check out this collection of Vegan Soups.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 3/4 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup barley
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs fresh celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup fresh corn (or, alternatively, 1 cup frozen corn kernels)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 t. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 t. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Vegan Bisquick Biscuits or Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits, for serving (optional)
1. In a large pot, place the dried navy beans, dried yellow split peas and barley with just enough water to cover and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain the barley, beans, and split peas and transfer to a bowl.
2. In the same pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the fresh minced garlic and chopped yellow onion and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are just soft and sweet-smelling. Add the celery, chopped carrots, fresh corn, barley-bean mixture, and low-sodium vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Add the chopped green pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes more. Add the sea salt, parsley, and lemon juice and remove the pot from heat. Add additional sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve immediately with Vegan Bisquick Biscuits or Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits if desired.