This is a fun and flavorful--yet still healthy--twist on the morning bowl of oatmeal, and it takes just a few minutes to whip together. Prepared with oats, almond milk, and three kinds of coconut, it's no wonder that it's good!Like any oatmeal recipe, this is obviously pretty versatile (check out other ingredient suggestions below the recipe). If you happen to love Silk's Pure Coconut Milk line as much as I do, feel free to replace the almond milk and lite coconut milk with the original or vanilla variety. And, if you're cooking for a gluten allergy or intolerance, just make sure to pick up certified gluten-free oats.
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 generous serving
- 3/4 cup 1-minute oats (also called quick-cooking oats)
- 1 cup plain almond milk, either store-bought or homemade, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 T. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 t. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Shredded sweetened coconut, for garnishing
1. Combine the 1-minute oats, plain almond milk, lite coconut milk and water in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Add in the shredded coconut, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon, stirring just to incorporate, and cook for just 30 seconds or so more, or until the oatmeal comes to the right consistency. If oatmeal is too thick, add a splash or so more of almond milk or coconut milk and mix well to combine. Transfer oatmeal to a serving bowl. Top the oatmeal with the sweetened shredded coconut, and mix these in before enjoying.
Other Ingredient Suggestions:
- This recipe is one that you can kind of get carried away with, so if you're in the mood to go a little wild with your coconut oatmeal, here are a few other ways that you can dress it up: