This dairy-free take on the casserole classic is family-style homecooking at its best! Both adults and kids love this casserole and it is incredibly easy to make, which makes it perfect for laid-back family get-togethers as well as weeknight meals. Dried porcini mushrooms lend deep, earthy tones to this sauce, but feel free to use whatever dried mushrooms you prefer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 8 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ cup boiling water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as linguine or fettuccine
- 1 T. oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ cup white flour
- 2 ½ cups soymilk
- ½ cup non-dairy light mayonnaise or soy mayonnaise
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 t. salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ t. black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen broccoli floret, thawed
- 24 ounces canned tuna (4 6-ounce cans)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 13” casserole and set aside.
2. Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over top. Let the mushrooms soak for 30 minutes, and then strain the liquid into another bowl and discard the mushrooms. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, bring several cups of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.
4. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, heat the oil, adding the onions and celery once hot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are fragrant and translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly until there are no lumps and the flour just begins to smell toasty, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the reserved mushroom liquid, whisking until well combined. Add the soymilk, ½ cup at a time, followed by the soy mayonnaise and vegetable broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
5. Add the peas, broccoli, tuna and cooked pasta to the sauce, tossing well to combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.