These cakes can be sauteed, fried or baked. I prefer sauteeing them as below, as it keeps them light but gives them a nice brown finish and great flavor. Serve these over fresh or steamed greens, salad or sauce of your choice.
Serves 4 as an entree. Makes 12 cakes
- 2 cans salmon, drained
- ½ cup green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs, plus more for dredging
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 ½ t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. fresh dill , plus more for garnishing
1. In a small bowl, combine the salmon, green onions, bread crumbs and lemon juice, mixing until well combined. Mix in the remaining ingredients until mixture holds together. Press in to 12 cakes.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook the cakes until well browned, about 2 minutes each side. Remove from heat and serve.