Makes 8-10 tacos
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dredging
- 2 T. cornstarch
- ¾ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1cup light beer
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Oil, for frying
- 1 pound white fish fillets, such as red snapper or cod, cut into 2” pieces
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- Mixed baby greens (about 2-4 cups, according to preference)
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Creamy Dill Sauce (see head note)
- Fresh dill, for garnishing
In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt until combined. Add about ¼ cup of the beer at a time, stirring well. Add the egg and stir until incorporated.
2. Heat several inches of oil in a medium-sized stock pot or deep-fryer to 375 F. Dredge the pieces of fish in a small amount of flour. Dunk the floured pieces in the batter until well coated and drop into the hot oil, cooking for about 2 minutes, or until evenly browned. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the cooked pieces of fish to a plate lined with a paper towel.
3. Drop the tortillas into the hot oil one at a time for about 10-20 seconds each, or until just lightly browned. Remove tortillas with a slotted spatula and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
4. While the tortillas are still warm, fold them slightly and fill them with greens, followed by the cooked fish, tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions. Top with dairy-free creamy dill sauce, garnish with fresh dill, and serve.