This easy homemade tortilla chips recipe is ideal for parties and indulgent snacks, and it's easy to be creative with the shapes of your chips--I've prepared everything from hearts to stars to standard triangles. Feel free to add other spices that suit your tastes!
As with any recipe, make sure that your tortillas are dairy-free and contain no dairy-derived ingredients or preservatives.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: About 60 chips
- 2 Quarts vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 12 large flour tortillas, cut into squares, hearts or other desired shapes
- Ground red pepper, for sprinkling
- Coarse salt or Hawaiian sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat the oil in a large pot to about 365 F to 370 F. Carefully drop the chips, only several at a time, into the hot oil, removing with a metal slotted spoon or spatula once golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with red pepper and coarse salt and repeat until all of the tortilla chips have been used. Allow the chips to cool on the paper towel-lined sheet for several minutes before serving.