Dairy-free as can be, this cheesy popcorn recipe adds cayenne for a kick of taste and color. It is great for after school snacks or for movie-time munching and, with nutritional yeast, is packed with protein and B vitamins without the saturated fat of traditional recipes.
- ½ cup olive or canola oil
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 T. cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
1. Heat oil in a 3-quart stock pot (or bigger) over medium-high heat.
2. Add popcorn kernels, cover.
3. When kernels begin to pop (after about 45 seconds), shake pot every few seconds to toss kernels, making sure that the lid stays closed.
4. After most of the kernels have popped, turn off heat and let pot rest for about twenty seconds to ensure that all corn has popped before opening the lid.
5. Pour popcorn into a large bowl. Add nutritional yeast, cayenne and salt, mixing well.