This classic dish is simple to prepare yet beautiful to serve, with the natural bright colors of eggs yolks, tomatoes and greens. It pairs well with a hearty muffin, biscuit or whole-grain bread, and can be served at any meal as a light entree or first course. For a vegetarian dish, substitute the ham for prepared vegetarian ham or bacon.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 T Salt
- 1 T olive oil, plus more for ramekins
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/3 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti
- 3 T. chopped fresh chives , plus more for garnishing
- 2 T. and 2 t. soymilk, divided
- Whole grain bread or dairy-free buttermilk biscuits, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Boil a small kettle of water for the baking pan. Lightly oil 4 ramekins.
2. In a small bowl, toss tomatoes and salt. Spoon equal portions into prepared ramekins. Set aside.
3. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, combine oil and onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add ham, and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove pan from heat.
4. In a small bowl, toss ham and onion mixure with spinach, allowing the greens to wilt slightly. Add the soy cream cheese, chives, and 4 t. of the soymilk. Add equal portions on top of the tomato mixture in each of the prepared ramekins, spinkling just a few tomatoes on top of the spinach mixture.
5. Break each of the eggs carefully on top of the vegetable mixture, keeping the yolks in tact. Add 1 t. of remaining soymilk on top of each of the eggs.
6. Place in a small baking pan just big enough to hold the four ramekins. Place on middle oven rack and, very carefully, pour boiling water in the bottom of the baking pan so that the water is just half-way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until whites are opaque but yolks are still a little runny.
7. Carefully remove ramekins from hot water with tongs. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with whole grain bread or Buttermilk Biscuits, garnishing with fresh chives if desired.