This vegan quiche is particularly wonderful in the summertime when asparagus is in season and grilling always sounds like a good idea. Feel free to use this recipe all throughout the year, though, and substitute whatever fresh veggies you have on hand!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: One 9" Quiche
- For the Grilled Asparagus:
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- For the Quiche:
- 8 ounces block-style dairy-free cheese of your choice, crumbled
- 2 12.3-ounce packages firm silken tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 T. finely ground cashews
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 3 T. dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. turmeric
1. Grill the asparagus. Heat the grill to high heat. Brush the asparagus spears with olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper, and grill for about 5 minutes, or until just lightly browned and still crisp. Remove from the grill, cut into pieces and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate and set aside.
3. Prepare the quiche. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the crumbled dairy-free cheese in the bottom of the pie plate. Spread the asparagus on top of the crumbled dairy-free cheese. Set aside. In a blender, process the tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, ground cashews, cornstarch, dairy-free cream cheese, salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and turmeric until smooth. Stir in the the remaining crumble dairy free cheese using a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Serve warm or cold