If you're like me, there are a lot of times when making a quiche sounds really nice, until you think about making the crust! This dairy-free quiche is so, so easy--no crust or dairy required!
While this recipe calls for broccoli and mushrooms, feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand!
Makes one 9" quiche
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 4 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 12 ounces crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 t. salt, divided
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, rinsed
- 9 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast
- 2 cups shredded dairy-free soy cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 T. of the olive oil, adding the onions once hot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 8 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly caramelized. Add the remaining olive oil, white wine, garlic, fresh basil, 1/2 t. salt and red pepper flakes and cook until the mushrooms have absorbed the liquid and the garlic smells fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Set aside.
3.In a steam basket set over boiling water, steam the broccoli for 3-5 minutes, or until bright green and lightly crisp. Toss with the mushroom mixture and set aside.
4.In a medium-sized mixing bowl using and electric hand mixer, beat 1 egg until pale yellow and frothy. Add the flour and beat until well combined. Add the remaining eggs and beat for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has increased in volume by a third and is very light and frothy. Gradually add the almond milk, nutritional yeast and remaining salt, beating for 2 minutes more after all has been added.
5. Sprinkle the dairy-free soy cheese evenly over the bottom of the prepared pie plate, and pour the egg mixture on top of the soy cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to 325 and bake for 35-40 minutes more, or until the quiche is firm but slightly jiggly. Allow the quiche to cool on a wire cooling wrack for 15-20 minutes or until set before serving.