These egg pockets are fun, beautiful and delicious. I like to serve them with a dollop of dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti.
Makes 8 pockets.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ¾ cup water
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. canola oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt, such as Wild Wood
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dairy-Free sour cream, such as Tofutti (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt until well-mixed.
3. In a small bowl or glass measuring pitcher, combine the water, honey and 1 T. of the oil, whisking until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing until dough holds together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until pliable and elastic, about 4 to 5 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
5. Make the filling. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 1 T. oil, adding the onions and peppers once hot. Stirring frequently, cook until translucent, about 5 to 6 mintues.
6. Meanwhile, combine the soy yogurt and the nutrtional yeast, mixing until well combined. Whisk in the eggs and add the mixture to the skillet. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, push the mixture towards the middle of the pan. When the eggs are almost set, after about 2 minutes, gently "scramble" them by stirring and flipping. Salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
7. On a lightly floured countertop, roll out the dough to about 1/8" thick. With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 equal squares.
8. Add a scoop of egg filling to the center of each of the squares. Lightly moisten the edges of the squares with a pastry brush. Fold up the dough around the filling as if you are making a sack, securing the pockets at the top by pinching together the dough and sealing any open sides.
9. Place pockets on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 mintues or until golden brown. Serve with a dollop of dairy-free sour cream, if desired.