This recipe is always a crowd pleaser, especially served with homemade potato chips!
Makes about 3 1/2 cups
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 lbs. vidalia onions, finely chopped
- 2 T. finely chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 12.3 ounce box silken tofu, firm variety
- 1 t. olive oil or canola oil
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 8-ounce tub dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, fragrant and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a blender or food processor, process the tofu until creamy. Add the olive oil, lemon juice and white wine vinegar, processing until smooth. Add the dairy-free cream cheese and 1/2 of the onion mixture, processing until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the remaining onions and the chopped chives. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill dip for about 1-2 hours before serving. Serve with dairy-free potato chips, either store-bought or homemade.