This is an excellent way to use leftover brown rice and beans, and although there are seven layers, this recipe comes together very quickly. If you want a "cheesier flavor" to your dip, this dairy-free queso is wonderful in this recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8 as an appetizer
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 t. chili powder
- ½ t. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup vegetarian beef substitute
- 1 8-oz tub dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti (see head note)
- ½ cup salsa, either store-bought or homemade
- 1 Recipe Guacamole
- ½ cup dairy-free sour cream, either store-bought or homemade
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the pinto beans, olive oil, chili powder and salt. Mash until well combined. Spread the pinto beans in a small ovenproof casserole dish or soufflé dish. Spread the cooked brown rice on top the beans, followed by the vegan beef substitute and dairy-free cream cheese. Place the dish in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Remove the dish from the oven, and top with the salsa, followed by the guacamole and dairy-free sour cream. (I prefer to put the guacamole and dairy-free sour cream on the same “layer” in a design similar to a yin-yang.) Serve with tortilla chips or pita.