Cupcakes are elegant little treats that a great for birthday parties and other functions as they are easy to transport, but also look beautiful with minimal effort. These cupcakes are fabulous topped with Dairy-Free Strawberry Meringue Frosting for a treat any time of year.
Makes 20 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ cup soy margarine or vegetable shortening
- 1 ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup honey
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- ½ cup soymilk or rice milk, divided
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 t. cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl using and electric hand mixer, cream the soy margarine or shortening with 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the honey, vanilla extract and half of the soymilk or rice milk. Add the flour mixture in three additions, mixing well between each addition. Add the remaining soymilk or rice milk and mix until just combined. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the eggs whites and cream of tartar for about 2 minutes or until frothy. Slowly add the remaining ¼ cup sugar and continue to beat at a high speed setting until the whites hold stiff, glossy peaks, about 4 minutes. Fold the egg white mixture in 3 additions into the flour mixture until just incorporated.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared lined pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting with dairy-free frosting of choice.