This sweet potato pie is southern-style homecooking at its best, with a rich pie crust bedecked with pecans and a creamy filling with just a hint of bourbon. This is a great pie for a Mardi Gras dessert table but is delicious any day of the year. If you prefer, you can make your own sweet potato puree; simply boil about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, remove the skins, process the flesh in a food processor or blender and measure out about 1 3/4 cups of the mixture.
Makes one 9 " pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ t. salt
- 4 T. dairy-free soy margarine, such as Willow Run, cut into pieces
- ½ cup ice cold water
- 1 15-oz. can sweet potatoe puree
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- 4 oz. dairy-free cream cheese (½ of a tub), such as Toffutti
- 3 T. Egg Replacer powder
- ¼ hot water
- ¾ cup dairy-free unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1/3 cup soymilk powder
- 1 T. bourbon extract
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- ¼ t. all spice
1. Make the crust. In a food processor, combine the flour, ground pecans, brown sugar and salt, pulsing until well mixed. Add the soy margarine and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. With the machine still running, slowly add the cold water until mixture just holds together. Roll out dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate and set aside.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough until about 1/8" thick. Fit into the prepared pie plate, trimming any overhang in excess of 1". Pinch edges into a crust as desired so that the crust is flush with the edge of the pie plate. Refrigerate crust, uncovered, for at least 15 minutes.
4. Make the filling. In a food processor, process the sweet potato puree, sugar and dairy-free cream cheese until well combined. Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
5. In a small bowl or dish, combine the Egg Replacer with the hot water, whisking with a fork until thick. Add this to the sweet potato mixture along with the soy yogurt, soymilk powder, bourbon extract and spices.
6. With a hand mixer on a medium-high speed beat for about 4 minutes, or until mixture is well combined and fluffy. Spread into the prepared pie crust and bake until golden brown, about 45-50 minutes. Allow pie to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.