This vegan cobbler is a perfect addition to your July 4th festivities or any other summertime parties.
Makes one 9" cobbler
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- For the Filling:
- 3 16-oz bags frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen blueberries, thawed
- For the topping:
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- 1 ½ T baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 6 T. soy margarine, such as Willow Run, cut into pieces
- ½ cup unsweetened plain soymilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a deep 9” pie plate or two deep soufflé dishes and set aside.
2. Prepared the filling. Place the strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Mix the cornstarch in 1 T. of cold water until dissolved and then add this to the cherry mixture, stirring well to combine. Stirring occasionally, cook the filling until slightly thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in the blueberries. Carefully, pour the filling into the prepared pie plate.
3. Prepare the topping. In a food processor, combine the white flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, pulsing until well mixed. Add the soy margarine and process until the mixture is crumbly. With the machine still running, add the soymilk gradually until the mixture just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Assemble the cobbler. Using your hands, pull and flatten pieces of dough between your fingers and gently lay these on top of the filling, overlapping and covering as much of the filling’s surface as possible. (The mixture will expand, so it is okay if not all of the topping is covered.) Once all of the dough has been used, sprinkle the topping generously with sugar. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 35-45 minutes. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.