These 4" cakes are really special and easy to make in large batches. They require few ingredients and little preparation-- you don't even have to use the oven! If you prefer, you can prepare this recipe as one 10" cake, allowing the cake to chill for at least 6 hours before serving to be sure that it sets.
Makes four 4" cakes or one 10" cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup chopped fresh Mejool dates, pitted*
- 4 cups frozen raspberries
- ½ cup agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup ground cashews
- 1 Recipe Dairy-free Chocolate Sauce or Vegan Ganache (see Head Note)
* If fresh dates are not available, substitute 1 cup of chopped dry dates and allow them to soak in hot water to cover for about 30 minutes before using.
1. Make the crust. Using your hands, press the dates into the bottoms of four 4" springform pans or one 10" springform pan, covering the entire space, adding more dates if necessary. (Dates are incredibly soft, and with just a little pressure, they will almost fuse together.)Place pans in the freezer while you make the filling.
2. Make the filling. Combine the raspberries, honey and ground cashews in a blender and blend on the highest setting until thick and creamy. Pour over prepared crusts and place back in the freezer for at least 1 hour before topping with Chocolate Sauce or Vegan Ganache .
3. Pour the ganache or Chocolate Sauce onto the cakes without using any spreading utensils, covering the surfaces evenly. Return cakes to the freezer for at least 1 hour more before serving. (If you decide to freeze them more than a few hours ahead of time, allow the cakes to rest in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving.)
5. When ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cakes to keep them from sticking to the sides of the springforms. Serve cold.