These delicious treats are rich and fun, somewhere between a cookie, a pie and a cake.
When I make whoopie pies, I like to make an array of fillings to give my guests options. For a couple more filling ideas, check out these classic Vegan Whoopie Pies and these Dairy-Free Chocolate Whoopie Pies.
Makes about 10 pies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 1 cup dairy-free almond milk
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/3 cup dairy-free soy margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 T. egg replacer powder mixed with 3 T. hot water
- For the Peanut Butter Filling:
- 1 12.3 ounce box extra firm silken tofu, drained
- 2 T. dairy-free almond milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the dairy-free almond milk and apple cider vinegar, and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until thickened and slightly curdled. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the dairy-free soy margarine and sugar until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the Egg Replacer mixture, and beat until the mixture is creamy and well combined. Add the dry mixture in several additions, alternating with the almond milk mixture, until all ingredients have been added and the mixture is smooth.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the prepared sheets, leaving about 2" between cakes. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when pressed. Use a spatula to transfer the cakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before filling.
5. Make the filling. In a blender, process the tofu, almond milk and vanilla until smooth. Add the peanut butter, confectioners sugar and salt and blend until smooth. (Mixture will be very thick.)Let the filling chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
6. Turn half of the cooled cakes upside-down (flat side up), and spread a generous amount of filling. Top with the the other cakes (flat side down) and serve.