These cakes are a compromise between angel food cake and traditional soufflés. Both light and rich at the same time, these are perfect for any occasion. You can also serve these in ramekin-size portions; if you do this, adjust your baking time to about 12-15 minutes.
Makes 4 2-cup soufflé cakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 10 ounces dairy-free chocolate
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt, such as Wild Wood
- ¾ cups confectioners sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ cup plain unsweetened soymilk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ t. cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease 4 2-cup soufflé dishes with dairy-free soy margarine. Place the prepared dishes on a baking sheet and set aside.[p2. Boil several cups of water in a small saucepan. Place the chocolate chips in a stainless steel mixing bowl set over, but not touching, the boiling water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is completely melted.
3. Meanwhile, make the sweet cream sauce. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the soy yogurt and confectioners sugar, whisking until well combined. Stir in the soymilk and vanilla and cook until mixture resembles a thick syrup. Set aside.
4. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Using an electric hand mixer, beat at high speed for about 5 minutes, or until the egg whites hold stiff peaks. A few table spoons at a time, add in the sugar and beat until the whites are glossy, about 2-3 minutes. In three additions, beat in the flour and mix until just combined.
5. Assemble the cakes. In the bottom of each soufflé dish, spoon several tablespoons of the yogurt-syrup. Swirl in a little bit of the melted chocolate. Set aside.
6. Using a heatproof spatula, fold in about 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the melted chocolate, taking care not to "cook" the egg whites. Fold in the remaining egg whites, but do not over-mix (allow the egg whites to look "marbled"). Smooth an equal amount of the egg white mixture into the prepared dishes, place the dishes on the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the cakes are puffed up and golden, about 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.