This non-dairy ice cream recipe is one of my favorites, both creamy and sweet as original versions, and it is perfect for a crowd-pleasing "green" recipe for celebrations like St. Patrick's Day. Blending the ice cream is important, as it will keep ice crystals from forming in order to yield a creamy dessert.The ice cream will keep in a covered container for 1 to 2 weeks in the freezer.
Makes about 4 cups
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- ½ cup water
- 3 green tea teabags
- ¾ cup plain soymilk, such as Silk
- 2 cups unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- ¼ t. salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 T. honey
1. In a tea kettle or small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Pour the hot water into a cup with the three tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags from the tea.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the tea with the soymilk, soy yogurt, and salt. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture just below the boiling point, so that steam is rising from the surface of the liquid, but no bubbles break the surface. Stir constantly until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and the sugar until pale yellow. Add the honey and whisk until just combined. Pour 1 cup of the soymilk mixture slowly down the side of the mixing bowl, whisking quickly to prevent cooking the eggs. Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan over medium heat and cook until the mixture is thick and resembles a custard, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Pour the custard into a metal bowl or baking pan and cool until room temperature, stirring occasionally to help the mixture cool. Cover and place the pan in the freezer for 1 hour.
5. Remove the pan from the freezer and, in a blender or food processor, blend the custard mix until smooth and add back into the pan. Return the pan to the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes before repeating the blending process 2 more times at 30-minute intervals. After the third blend, freeze until desired consistency and enjoy cold.