These deliciously rich dairy-free brownies keep all of the good stuff and leave out the rest! Prepared with dark dairy-free chocolate and mejool dates in place of the butter and eggs, this recipe is one that has become a staple at my cookouts, potlucks, picnics and birthday parties, as they are great for dairy-free, egg-free and vegan diets, and, well, they are absolutely wonderful. Try mixing an extra recipe of the dry ingredients and keep the mix in a small airtight container in the pantry for quick brownie fixes!
For extra fudgy brownies, ice the cooled brownies with ganache.
Makes on 8"x8" square pan of brownies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup chopped pitted Mejool dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
- 2 cups dairy-free dark semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 12 oz.)
- 1 t. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil an 8”x8” square cake pan and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out the excess.
2. Place the dates in a small bowl or mug just big enough to fit, and pour the boiling water over top. Let the dates soak for 20-30 minutes, or until very soft.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. In a small stainless steel mixing bowl set over (but not touching) a small saucepan of boiling water, combine the soy yogurt and chocolate chips, stirring occasionally until all of the chocolate has melted, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Place the dates and soaking liquid in a blender and blend until creamy. Add this to the dry ingredients along with the chocolate mixture and vanilla and mix until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Once cool, ice with dairy-free ganache if desired.