Although this dough can be made by hand with a pastry blender, to achieve the flakiest pie dough, it is really best to use a food processor. When making pie and tart doughs, it is important to keep all of your ingredients as cold as possible and to handle the dough as little as possible. This dough is great for making dairy-free recipes for classics like this dairy-free apple pie and dairy-free pumpkin pie.
Makes enough 1 double-crust 9" pie or 2 single-crust 9" pie crusts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ t. salt
- 2 t. sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold soy margarine
- 8 oz. (1 tub) cold dairy-free cream cheese, such as tofutti
- about 1/3 cup ice cold water, more if needed
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the soy margarine and dairy-free cream cheese and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. While the machine is still running, gradually add the water until the dough just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
2. Divide dough in half, wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before using, or up to overnight.