Traditionally prepared with butter, eggs and milk, bread puddings are usually anything but healthy, dairy-free or vegan, but this easy dairy-free, egg-free recipe rendition is not only delicious, but it's also significantly healthier for you. Served with Vegan Cinnamon Custard if desired, this is a perfect fall or winter-time dessert.
Makes 4 2-cup puddings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 cups 1/2 " whole-grain bread cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. ginger
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. salt
- 4 cups plain almond milk
- 1 T. canola oil
- 2/3 cup and 2 T. agave nectar or maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- Dairy-Free Cinnamon Custard, for topping (see heading)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil four 2-cup heatproof dishes or, alternately, one 9" round cake pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the bread cubes, cranberries, apple pieces, pecans, cinnamon, ginger nutmeg and salt until well mixed. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the almond milk, canola oil and agave nectar and allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
3. Portion the mixture into the prepared dishes and bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Drizzle with syrup and serve warm with dairy-free cinnamon custard.