These are some of the easiest little cakes to make, which has made them a favorite among kids who want to help in the kitchen. While I also love these Rich Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes, the combination of maple syrup, coconut milk, and cocoa in these is absolutely divine, and I almost always have all of the ingredients in my pantry.
Just about any frosting is delicious on these cakes, but this Peanut Butter Frosting in particular is a favorite among kids and even a few adults in my family.
Makes about 14 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 3 ounces dark dairy-free chocolate, melted
- 2 T. dairy-free soy yogurt
- 1 t. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line about 14 cups in a muffin or cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut milk, canola oil, melted chocolate yogurt and vanilla. Add the maple syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Portion the batter into the cupcake cups, filling each about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way full. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers of the cupcakes emerges clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before icing with desired dairy-free frosting.